Monday, 27 August 2012

Weight issues

This will most likely be badly written, since I really should be sleeping right now, but I wanted to get this out as soon as it occurred to me. Maybe that's not the best way to write an inaugural post but I hope that anyone reading this will still take something away from it.

I had an epiphany today that I want to share with everyone who's ever taken flak about their weight, whether it was for being too large or too skinny:
The kinds of people who tell you these things will never be happy no matter what you do or what you weigh. 


I used to have people comment on my weight, saying I was too fat, that I was eating too much and that I really needed to lose weight. Since then, I've lost 88 lbs. I thought that would make them happy and that there would be an end to comments about my weight. I was wrong. Now those same people tell me I'm too skinny, that I don't eat enough and that I really need to gain weight. They now ask if I'm anemic, or if I have an eating disorder and why I still want to lose more weight.

Many of us wouldn't dream of trying to change our personalities or our strongly held beliefs just to please another person, so why do we let them influence how we look and how much we think we should weigh? I finally see that these are all the same thing. The only opinion that matters to me now about my weight is my own.

If anyone tries to tell you that you don't weigh enough or that you weigh too much, don't pay any attention to it. You should treat this with the same respect as you would any other kind of ignorance. Ignore what they tell you and just do what feels right to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment